Non-Finnish publishers and organisers of events such as literary festivals can apply for promotional grants from FILI. The purpose of FILI’s promotional grants istopromote the visibility and sales of new translations, thereby increasing awareness of Finnish literature abroad.
The grants are intended to support author visits to launch new translations or attend promotional events. The primary use of the grants is to cover a portion of the author’s travel and accommodation costs (flights from Finland, 1–2 hotel nights). Funding can also be requested to support the production of marketing materials related to the visit.
The application must clearly state the details of the event, such as the date, time and location, as well as estimated travel and accommodation costs. Applications also seeking funding for marketing materials must include a cost estimate for the materials.
It is important to note that the applicant is also expected to contribute to the costs. The application must make clear how the costs will be distributed.
- Applications for promotional grants must always be submitted at least two months before the event.
- Applications must include the event’s programme and a marketing plan.
- Priority will be given to professionally organised projects that include a variety of events for the author.
- Promotional grants may not be used to cover items such as author’s fees, interpreters, venue rentals, refreshments, local transport or taxis.
- The author’s travel arrangements are the responsibility of the grant applicant.
- The promotional grant will be paid only against actual, documented costs incurred.
Recipients of promotional grants must include the FILI logo on all promotional materials. FILI’s support must also be mentioned in all communications related to the visit. For example, on social media, the tags #FILI and #filigrants should be used.
FILI may also, at its discretion, support author travel not connected to the launch of a new translation, especially appearances by poets at poetry festivals.
Promotional grants are paid to the applicant only after the applicant has submitted a payment request, including the necessary attachments, via FILI’s electronic grant management system, as well as a report describing the author’s visit.